Monday, February 15, 2010

Noob Strikes Again

I've only been writing for just over a month. In fact, my first published article was on 02 Jan 2010, so I think I should be allowed my fair share of mistakes. The site that published my first article, Associated Content, has allowed me to grow as a writer, but they also give me a forum to fall on my face.

Case in point, I thought that I would try my hand at writing a news article for the site, and, in a word, it turned out great. I've written 33 articles for the web site, but this was the first article to get widespread attention. The article was about Nodar Kumaritashvili's accident in luge, and in one day, got nearly a thousand hits. For me, this is huge. Almost all of my articles combined might be just over a thousand views, and that is across 40 days of availability.

This then spurred me to write another news article about the Olympics, and I failed miserably. The article was about Apolo Ohno winning silver in the 1500m short track, and about the hostility between the South Korean Team and Ohno. Unfortunately I went too far in Ohno's defense by stating that a Korean news agency had gotten their facts wrong. It was I who got the facts wrong.

To make things worse, a number of folks have been keen to point out my mistake, at length, and with no thought of pulling punches. From first hand experience, I can say that this sucks. To Korea Times, I'm sorry for the error, and I am trying to correct it. To Apolo Ohno, thanks for that. And to me, next time I will double check the facts.

Give me another chance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment