Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gripping cold nights and Google Trends

I have a rather odd addiction. I enjoy reading the top 20 items in Google Trends. I have a widget on my iGoogle home page and I wouldn't say that I stare at it, but I feel the urge to peek at it every time I open a web browser.

This has lead me to believe that there's a trend, in general, to the weather and which items are "trending" in the Google search universe. This cold snap across the majority of the United Sates has lead to a number of trends that are cold weather disaster related. Blizzards, snow storms, and such. Sometimes even a cold weather survival search string will jump in there. Then people become morbid.

Collapses of buildings, like the collapse of the Metrodome roof (which is apparently inflatable, has happened three times before and is relatively easy to fix). And then death tolls and survival stories. Fortunately, they don't seem to last long. A day or two seems to be my anecdotal average. Famous deaths have always trumped the Google Trends list, at least they temporarily get knocked off by a collapsing roof.

Speaking of trends, one Google Trends item that keeps coming back is this guy Alex Jones and Prison Planet. Not a fan of much of his stuff, and most of it sounds like conspiracy theories with little or no evidence (but aren't all conspiracies backed by little or no evidence), but his audience has some really strange trend. Fridays. Friday afternoon his topic of the day always seems to top Google Trends. Not for long, and normally not in any grand volume, but enough for me to wonder what the topic is about. When I do click on the subject, because it is always something that catches your attention, like "Obama caught lying" or "Obama Deception censored," I normally read each story a bit and determine it to be just rubbish. An very angry. Lots of hate from that group there. Check out my article on it here and just read the comments. Craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment